This is a full-time, remote position located anywhere in the country involving working from home and traveling nationally. Much of our work is currently concentrated in Tennessee, and being located in Memphis would be a plus.
Who We Are:
D2D is a growing non-profit that provides small school and districts / CMOs with actionable support to improve instruction. We do this by connecting them with each other, best practices, and shared support for teachers and leaders. We currently work with small districts and charter systems in Tennessee and Florida, but plan to grow to serve hundreds of systems and over a million students across multiple states.
Charter systems were some of D2D’s founding system partners; in our first year, we worked with 15 charter systems across Tennessee. We seek to hire a full-time ELA Lead to lead the effort to improve ELA instruction in charter systems, to deliver support that leads to measurable change in instruction and to offer professional learning opportunities for teachers and leaders. We seek a motivated and detail-oriented educator with a strong background in instructional coaching and literacy - ideally with a view that spans K-12 but concentration in K-5 would be acceptable - as well as in developing and facilitating impactful adult learning experiences. Candidates should be passionate about improving instructional effectiveness and believe in the potential of students, teachers, and charter systems. The ELA Lead reports to the Director of Instructional Support.
- Charter System Support
- Accompany Directors of Instructional Support on system reviews, use the Instructional Practices Guide (IPG) to observe and score ELA instruction, and give feedback to system leaders and teachers
- Conduct reviews of assessments, curricula, pacing guides, scope and sequence guides, and other system materials, and write reports on them for systems
- Answer partner charter systems’ questions (directly and via Directors of Instructional Support) to support decision-making
- Supervise and train IPG specialists in the IPG norming process during system reviews
- Work with system ELA teams to support their instructional improvement cycle, including system visits, classroom observations, professional development, and content support
- Assist with the build-out of playbooks for charter systems
- Event and Training Support
- Prepare materials for and lead the ELA portions of IPG Norming Days
- Prepare materials for and lead sessions during topical meetings, quarterly network meetings, and other events as needed
- Content Development and Delivery
- Develop content, such as model lessons, content exercises, and training session materials and PowerPoints
- Deliver content and professional development to teachers and leaders, and train content specialists to deliver content
- Support development of curriculum-specific transition and implementation plans
- Team Coordination
- Train and manage part-time ELA content specialists to assist on content development and delivery
Candidate Qualifications and Traits:
- Commitment to excellent daily instruction for all students
- 3+ years of experience as an ELA teacher and 3+ years as an administrator or instructional coach, with a record of success achieving clearly-defined outcomes and improving student learning
- Deep knowledge of literacy content and pedagogy in grades 3-12
- Deep understanding of the ELA standards, assessments, and instructional implications
- Detail orientation, organization, and follow through
- Very strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience building positive relationships with diverse team members and stakeholders
- Ability to travel to charter systems located throughout the country weekly and to Nashville, TN quarterly
D2D’s Core Values:
- We are optimists: We believe in the possibility of an education system that serves all students well. We hold high expectations for students, educators and ourselves. We pursue ambitious goals, work hard to overcome obstacles and we boldly try new things to reach our vision.
- We are practical: We believe support should meet people where they most need help and lead to immediate change in classroom instruction. We look for ways to work smart, focus on the most important change and reduce friction to make it easier to take action.
- We are learners: We know there are always ways to improve. We believe our long-term success is a result of how well we learn. We seek to understand the best of what is known, we reflect on successes and challenges and always look for ways we can do better.
- We are direct: We honor each other by being honest. We operate without hidden agendas, we are straightforward about what we know and what we don’t and we tell the truth, even when it is hard.
- We are thoughtful: We think things through, pay attention to details, consider our options expansively and seek to make smart decisions. We set priorities and live them in our actions. We value diverse perspectives as fundamental to our effectiveness.
Compensation is competitive with charter and nonprofit sector positions and is commensurate with experience. Detailed information about the organizational compensation philosophy is available upon application. Competitive benefits and private retirement investment options are available, as well as a generous vacation policy.